Thursday, November 4, 2010

Conversations at home

Today...
Conversation #1
Emery: Madame, why you not speak Japanese?
Me: Because I am not Japanese.
Emery: But why you not speak Japanese?
Me: Well, one, I am American. So there's that. Two, I have nothing to do with Japan. Not now or then.
Emery: But you should speak it!
Me: Why do you think so?
Emery: Because you should! You look like you should!
Me: I speak English and mediocre French. The thing is, in the United States, there are many different types of people. But yet, and this is the important part, they are all still American. Some people do speak other languages in their families, but I don't. And if I did, it would not be Japanese. The reason being because neither I nor any of my family or ancestors are Japanese.
Emery: But, Madame, you Japanese!

Conversation #2
Emery: Madame, why do people like dragons?
Me: I'm not sure, I suppose why not?
Emery: Me no like.

Conversation #3
Emery(pointing to season 3 of Dexter): Madame, this man, he no good.
Me: Aw, Dexter is the best!
Emery: Madame, he no good.

Racial profiling in the home, America loves the melting pot, dragons, and Dexter. Another Congo morning is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment