Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cinema

So, I stand corrected. This past weekend we saw Avatar. In the Congo movie theater. True statement.

The Place: The Majestic.

Location: In a room on the second floor of a somewhat deteriorating building in a deteriorating area.

The guy who owns it: Tino.

Price: $10 USD ($15 USD if you want a drink and a plastic cup of popcorn).

The Ambiance: Pretty nice for Congo! The seats are wooden and sort of how I envision the Flintstones creating chairs for the movies. But they were cushioned. The theater seats about 50 people and has a projector in the back of the room. There are no previews. Though I am sure it wasn't the same as on IMAX, Avatar was of pretty decent quality, despite a few moments where the picture went blank.

The Legality: Questionable. We have reason to believe Tino may or may not acquire his movies via nefarious sources. One piece of evidence? The disclaimer across the bottom of the movie that prohibits resale. But who knows. Don't ask, don't tell. Either way, I am ok with it. It's Congo for Pete's sake. I'll reclaim any of my lost copyright morals when we leave.

(Oh, and on a side note, I'm not sure I understand all the hype about Avatar. It was really long. And, I thought, I tiny bit silly. But it was really beautifully done. And, hey, beggars can't be choosy in Kinshasa.)

Photo by Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment