Here is an example of a Kinshasa cab. They are always packed full of people, always in pretty poor condition, and always something I would never want to be in.
In clown-car style, loads of people pour in and out of these vehicles. I have seen people riding on top of the roof, hanging off the back, and sitting on one another (see above).
From what I can gather, I think the system works like this:
- You need a ride somewhere.
- Stand on the side of the road and shake your hand at one of the vans (sort of like you are miming throwing dice).
- Passengers already in the van will yell out where they are headed to...
- If their destination sounds good, you are in business!
- Try to find a spot in/on/attached to the van.
Price system unknown at present. Also unknown is what happens if there are multiple destinations. Will find out and report back!